We’re trying something new on the blog. Starting this quarter I will be posting shipment numbers for the Motorola Home and Networks Mobility business on a regular basis. I’ve done it in a haphazard way before, but this blog will now be the home for these quarterly updates. Over time, you will be able to view all quarterly shipment reports by selecting the “Quarterly Shipment Numbers” category. There is a lot of detail provided so hopefully these reports will be helpful to a broad audience. However, I should note that Motorola does not break down the numbers in any more detail, so my ability to answer questions about these quarterly posts in the comments section is limited. You know, public company and all that. Thanks for understanding.
Q1 2009 Shipment Numbers
Home and Networks Mobility segment sales were $2.0 billion, down 16 percent compared to a year-ago quarter. GAAP operating earnings were $115 million, compared to operating earnings of $153 million in the year-ago quarter.
Home and Networks Mobility highlights:
- Shipped more than 4.3 million digital entertainment devices
- Introduced industry’s first commercial receiver/decoder (IRD) to deliver three-channel MPEG-4 to MPEG-2 High Definition TV
- Developed DVR solution with Time Warner using Tru2way(TM) software that enables consumers to share content throughout the home
- Announced major GSM network expansion awards with Mobily in Saudi Arabia and MTN Ghana
- Continued momentum with launch of WiMAX network in Jordan and introduction of first WiMAX outdoor customer premise equipment (CPE) with integrated VoIP
Keep reading for shipment breakdowns.